Galleries

A glimpse of Belgrave Hall

Along Loughborough Road to Melton Turn

From the National School to Windsor Avenue

Trams in Belgrave

The Belgrave to the Clock Tower in the centre of Leicester was one of, if not the, first tram routes in Leicester. Originally horse-drawn, the route was converted to electricity in 1904. The first electric tram service from Belgrave first ran on 21st April, 1904. The tram-sheds at Belgrave were just before the bend on Thurcaston Road, opposite Belgrave Hall.

The Belgrave Floods of 1912

For many years large areas of Leicester have been subject to severe flooding due to rising levels of the river Soar. Belgrave was no exception; although Belgrave House, Belgrave Hall and St. Peter’s were relatively safe due to their position on higher ground, the area along Thurcaston road and on the other side of the Soar was much lower, and suffered as a consequence  (as did much of the city into at least the 1970’s),   as shown by these photographs taken August in 1912.

 

 

 

 

St. Peter’s Interior #3

St. Peter’s Interior #2

St. Peter’s Font

St. Peter’s Stained Glass Windows